How to be successful in Employee Performance Reviews?
A guide for managers
Are you interested in tools to make performance reviews successful in your organisation? Performance management systems consist of the activities of improving employee performance, and therefore, organizational performance. Consequently, performance management is conducted at the organizational level and the individual level. These six tips will help you make performance reviews positive and motivational.
- Preparation is key
Do not underestimate the impact of the performance review. The employee has waited at least six months for this meeting. He wants a thorough report on his performance. Be clear, well prepared and provide time for the employee to clarify his feedback and ambitions.
- Do not postpone the meeting
Meet the deadline to complete all performance appraisals. This also includes the report of the reviews!
- Discuss the agenda, objectives & expectations of the conversation
The baseline for the conversation is the job profile. The agenda of a performance review should consist of the following components at least:
- Pre-Discussion Phase: The employee can highlight the topics he wants to discuss.
- Discussion Phase: The manager and employee will discuss solutions and opportunities. Clear agreements and actions should be discussed. (The role of you as manager is to clarify ambitions, skills and abilities of the employee).
- Discussion Phase (manager): You give your feedback about the performance of the employee. In addition, you should also discuss skills and/or knowledge the employee needs to improve in order to execute the job role or rotate to another position.
- Discussion Phase (employee): The employee responds to the points discussed.
- Completion: The agreements are summarised and formulated into clear objectives.
- Have a procedure in place for if an employee disagrees with the feedback
The performance review session is a two-way conversation. If an employee disagrees with the feedback, please be clear on how the employee should indicate this and how it will be processed in the performance review report.
- Get to the point
Be clear, speak as concisely as possible about their performance backed up with examples of recent events.
- Put all agreements in writing
No written performance review report will have a negative impact on the motivation of employees. The employee will feel respected as their input is captured. Additionally, the report is an essential document in the employee’s file as of non-performance or promotion.
- Why Prolonged Sitting Is Unhealthy and Unproductive. - May 4, 2021
- 7 Ways to Effectively Train Employees - May 4, 2021
- How to Organise Training for Emergency Response Officers during COVID-19 - May 4, 2021