Human Resource Information System (HRIS) or Human Resource Management System (HRMS), is basically an intersection of Human Resources and Information Technology through HR software. This allows HR activities and processes to take place electronically.
In other words, an HRIS can be seen as a way, through software, for large and small companies to manage a number of activities, including those related to Human Resources, Accounting, Management and Payroll. With HRIS, a company could be in a position to better plan, manage and control HR costs without having to allocate too many resources to it.
The benefits of HRIS are:
- Expediting recurring tasks through automation;
- Improved ability to reach large groups of candidates for new job openings;
- Ability to quickly apply higher selection standards to a number of applications;
- Quick onboarding enabled by mobile accessibility;
- Reduction of paper and related materials and storage – often results in cost savings;
- Easy distribution of up-to-date material on company policies and procedures;
- Potential for greater employee engagement through self-service options;
- Streamlining of enrollment for benefits;
- Enable employees to change benefit information immediately as changes occur;
- Enhanced training opportunities through integration and development tracking features;
- Reduction of errors in payroll systems and employee data databases;
- Improved capabilities and accuracy for time and attendance;
- Reduction of compliance issues with alerts and automatic reporting options;
- Ability to make better-informed decisions in real time using analytics and integration of organisational data;
HRIS will lead to greater efficiency in decision making, increase of the quality of the decisions and as a result, the productivity of employees and managers will increase.
HRIS systems can also be used to improve productivity related to financial management through tasks related to payroll processing and benefits administration.
Performing analysis and looking at statistics related to different aspects of the organization can help in making better decisions and also in discovering patterns. HRIS analysis tools give staff the ability to perform many relevant calculations quickly. Some software programs are designed to create professional reports with statistics and analysis that can help HR professionals see problems at a glance.
There are a number of solutions offered for training, payroll, HR, compliance and hiring. Most high-quality HRIS systems have a flexible design with databases integrated with a wide range of available functions. Ideally, they also offer the ability to quickly and accurately create reports and analyse information to make it easier to manage the workforce.
Because of the efficiency benefits offered by HRIS systems, an HR administrator can reclaim many hours of his or her day instead of spending those hours on non-strategic, mundane tasks required to run the administrative side of HR.
“…one place for announcements, external web links and company policies.”
In addition to these software solutions, companies are also investing in HRIS modules that help them leverage the full productivity of their workforce, including the varied experiences, talents and skills of all personnel.
In conclusion, a company taking the time to invest in an HRIS that fits their goals, objectives, mission and values is a company investing in its future and in its success. It will be necessary to adapt an HRIS to the unique needs of a company so that the system remains flexible and relevant throughout the life of the company or business. For more information on HRIS resources, please contact our specialists.